Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Class Cow

I took this picture when my daughter was in kindergarten and we went to the "Real Life Farm". Way cool place. The teacher is the lady next to the cow, in the slides. Here it was late fall, at a farm and she was wearing her Candies! Love it! Right on, Mrs. W.! This brings me to my point of the day..... When do we feel "grown up"? I mean, when do we stop feeling 25 or 12 or 8? I had lunch with some friends recently and as I sat there and listened I thought...."they are so much older than me"! In truth, I think I was the oldest one there. Funny, eh?

Why do some people get "old" and some people stay connected to their youth? Maybe it's the way we can embrace new ideas and aren't afraid to look silly or get messy. These ladies were all about looking good and having nice things. Now don't get me wrong, I do like nice things. We all do. But ...and I don't want to appear superior at all, really...I don't really go for the new, shininess of things. I love that I found a bag at my favorite store in Ann Arbor (Orchid Lane) that was made in a co-op in Nepal. Love it! Cool looking and I love that it's from a region I so love and people who really need to make a living. I'd love it more if I could have bought it from them direct but I have to be content with overpaying for the product to pay for others who took the time and energy to travel there. I love to find clothing that makes me feel unique and not "ooh you got those boots?" "WOW COOL!" The same boots that 15 other friends have.

The danger here is to start feeling like my #$% doesn't stink... and it does. But I do wonder sometimes if all this materialism isn't going to catch up with us someday? Or maybe with our kids? Sigh. The best I can do is take my kid to the Salvation Army once in a while to find cool pieces that will keep us warm, look nice AND that give us the chance to recycle and donate to a charity. Now THAT'S COOL!

1 comment:

detroit dog said...

That's a very cute cow!