Monday, December 16, 2013

If I won the lottery

Okay, so all of us have seen the news and know that the Mega Millions Jackpot is something like $550 million dollars, right? Today is Monday and I really need to finish packing up my family's gifts. I need to make the pilgrimage to the post office to mail off all the goodies and I know the line will be long.. So I am blogging.

What to do first? Call my tax man and put him on retainer. Call my lawyer and set up a trust for my daughter. Practical, right?

Offer my house to my next door neighbors. I have thought of this a lot. Really nice family that moved here from Sri Lanka and, several years ago, adopted a lovely little girl from within their large family. I would want to move to a larger home that would accommodate friends and family and work.

Work? Well, I would want to build a patronage and that would take some space. Ideally, I would like to  have a concert/recording space to use and offer to others. There would also be a small staff I would like to gather to work on researching the various charities and needs in our state and our world. Never having had a lot of money in my life I would like some of this lottery money working to change, not only my family's life, but the lives of people who need that leg up.

It goes, without saying, that I would fund some medical trials to find a viable end to breast cancer.
Maybe fund projects such as this..?!

I would, most certainly, want to buy property on Lake Michigan - Good Harbor Bay if at all possible.
(This place I would buy, outright. I know this place well.)

Then there are my family and their financial pressures.  What a joy to be able to sit down with people you love and say..."What are your needs but, more importantly, what are your dreams?"

I would love to have a house and land to be able to buy art and help sustain artists that need to be seen.

I would have an extremely cool weekend planned and invite those people in my life that I want to say thank you to.  Rent a castle or something amazing like that...... Hmm... an island instead.....I am looking at the weather here right now!

And then there is travel. Sigh. Having those experiences I have dreamed of all my life and sharing them with  my daughter and husband. Kathmandu, Hong Kong, Machu Picchu, Bali, the Loire Valley, Lhasa, Budapest, Istanbul, Petra, Cairo, San Jose (Costa Rica), The Seychelles Islands, Cape Town, Buenos Aires, Nimbin (AU), Sapporo, Quebec City, Lima...  A full passport, for sure.

Okay....enough. It's time to get back to more mundane things. I hope whomever wins tomorrow night will have just a bit of a global mindset. After all, how many things can you buy before you "buy" dissatisfaction?

Personally, I will keep my fingers crossed.

No comments: