Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Indian Princesses aside

I've been reading...and reading. Here is a list of what's been in my hands the last month or so....

"Send Yourself Roses : Thoughts on my life, loves and leading roles" by Kathleen Turner
"Tales of a Female Nomad: Living at Large in the World" by Rita Golden Gelman
"In the Frame : My Life in Words and Pictures" by Helen Mirren
"Becoming Strangers" by Louise Dean
"The Memory Keeper's Daughter" by Kim Edwards
"Mary Martin, Broadway Legend" by Ronald L. Davis
"The Slow Moon" by Elizabeth Cox
"The Rug Merchant" by Meg Mullins

Ms. Turner's book was very interesting and open. It's a fast read and it's a little pompous but she has been around the block and these stories prove it!
Ms. Gelman's book was FABULOUS and based on her unusual life. Really cool and I loved it!
Ms. Mirren's book is very good and there are some wonderful ( dare I say frame-able?) photos of her in it. Whew!
Ms. Dean's book was tiresome.
Ms. Edward's book was really, really good and very unusual.
The bio by Mr. Davis was very good. Mary Martin was a very simple person surrounded by complications and others to deal with it for her. Bizarre.
Ms. Cox's book was very good and I really enjoyed the story and the descriptiveness of her style. Ms. Mullins book is very good and very rich although it ends very softly.....poof.

My nose has, very happily, been buried and, soon enough, I'll have to return to demanding schedules and no time left to ponder.

Damn!

3 comments:

Stacie said...

I ran across your blog awhile ago doing a random blogger search. I decided to come out of lurkdom and introduce myself at this post! :)

I'm Stacie, and I had to tell you that I had Kim Edwards for two classes while at the University of Kentucky. She was amazing, and I was in her class the day she sold Memory Keeper's Daughter. What a cool lady!

CompareSoftware guru said...

I also read "Memory Keeper's Daughter" for my book club and really liked it. It was an unusual situation but gets you thinking about how common it might be for families, or members therein, to have secrets. I was very happy with the ending except when it came to the son missing his father's funeral. I would think that the son would have felt as though something was missing from the experience of his father's death. In the book, this was not dealt with at all. Rose, you should come to our book meeting this month when we discuss the book. Happy reading!

Rosie the Riveted said...

KAREN! What is the address of your blog again? I lost a bunch of my "favorites" recently. Crap.