Sunday, August 29, 2010

Late August thoughts



It's a quiet morning and I can really feel it now. It's that long exhalation of breath that always seems to come at the end of the summer. The pace of life slows way, way down. It's a tiny bit uncomfortable too. All that time and no real schedule to follow. Staying up late, rising early, reading, writing, being. Not too much of that in my life, the other 11 months of the year. I wish for this time and yet, I'll be glad when it passes. In this society, to be under-scheduled means you are a loser. Not one is pounding on your door or calling you to say .."We need you to do this and this. You are sooooo important."

What crap, eh? But when was the last time you answered the question.."so, what have you been up to..?" with that long sigh and then .."I've been way busy." Nods all around. Yup. You are needed. You rate. You are important. To be busy is to be important, right? Oh no, you say. That's not how it is at all!

Right.

It goes hand and hand with the idea that we all want to be "happy". Wrong again. The real thing we all want is to be "cool". Busy and Cool are best friends in the eyes of our society. Sucks but I can almost hear you muttering....."right".

Back to my original thought. This timeless time of year. We are on the brink of school starting and schedules firing up. Most of us sport tans of one hue or another. We've been out in the world and away from our work. Unusual for us Michiganders...the tan part, right?

On the heels of my friend passing, I am looking more closely at this time. I know the laid back/just back from the lake person will soon hightail it in favor of super woman soon but just now....Sigh. I feel I need to be more observant now. My friend's 48th birthday is Labor Day this year. Funny. Labor Day..a day we usually don't labor a whole lot,right? Missing my mum and dad alot but with Kimmie gone it's a whole new thought process. 84 vs. 48. Makes their passing seem....sweeter? Lives well lived. Long lived. Long verses short. Too short.

The ideal I have of myself. How old am I? I was boating the other day with two cousins of my husband. These boys are in their early to middle 20's. And my daughter who is 11. Am I still 22 inside somewhere? Yes. But I am looking out of 48 year old eyes. Cool...mostly. Changes are afoot when it comes to my body. I think, in my friend's honor, I will work on my body this next season. Try to shed some pounds and some "weight" to get back to a lighter spirit. Don't feel close to 48 right now. Maybe in a couple of decades...?

No comments: