Tuesday, August 3, 2010

New Voyage

Today is the start of a new voyage. It was just that for Christopher Columbus....

According to the history books, he set sail today - a few years back - to try to find the "New World". He found something but it wasn't what he expected.

Isn't that how Life is? We set sail for adventure and we know just how it will be. We will live in a big house or travel to Venice or become a ballerina or a veterinarian... Whatever the dream we, as children, know how it will be.

As adults, we learn that it is almost never as we expected. That can be good and bad.

Right now, an old friend of mine from high school days is in ICU at a local hospital. This person is slowly dying of alcoholism. Whoa. Did not see that coming.

This person is my age! I've known this person for 30 years! I will never understand the pain that has made this horrible disease progress to the point it is today. This person did not sail off in search of this, surely.

I grew up in a family that was different by the standards of my neighborhood. I have already written reams about my parents so I won't go back over all that except to say that I grew up in love. My parents loved me and made sure that I understood that.

My friend in ICU grew up with complete dysfunction and a void of love. Maybe that was what passed for normal in that neighborhood. Not so much love and support but in a nice house. Not so much attention but with nice clothes. The italics are mine because that is not normal, in my world.

I trust that the best will come for my friend. I wish I knew the destination of that journey. I will pray for what I think is the best choice but it's not up to me.

Today, I will look at my child and see her for the wonderful person she is. I will try not to jump on the things she does "wrong" and dismiss her chatterings about nothing. It all matters. Being dismissed in life is just about the worst thing I can think of to do to a child.

Look how it affected my friend.

No comments: