Tuesday, May 13, 2008

A glass half full




Sometimes it's hard to remember that we are just so damn lucky. When bills come due and calls from debt collectors make the phone ring from morning till night. When we turn on the TV and see yet another story on the "Race for '08!" Yikes! When a trip to the pump means calculating in your head just how far we have to drive this week...and where we won't be going.
And then I watch the early morning news and I see people sobbing over the bodies of children pulled from a school in China. Thousands of people who have lost everything - meaning their loved ones. In Myanmar, in China, in Iraq.
I realize that all my worries are ones I can deal with. I can tune out the phone. I can call the people to whom I owe money and work out a deal. Blah, blah, blah.
I can kiss and snuggle my daughter tonight as I put her in her safe, comfortable bed. I can kiss my husband goodnight and not worry that soldiers will drag him out of bed in the middle of the night. I can lie awake and listen to the blissful silence of my family at rest. This is the thought/prayer that runs through my head most every night.
Father, Mother, God...my prayer today is to be always thankful for the life I have, for the love I have. I ask that everyone in this world be given the chance, the privilege of deep and restful sleep in dry, warm, safe and comfortable beds. I ask that You help us to remember how LUCKY we really are. Every day. Please, please pour Your love over the people who are empty wells of despair today.
Amen.

No comments: