Tuesday, January 8, 2008

The kings have come and gone

Here we are, happy Christmas Family. Epiphany has come and gone and my tree is till up. I always have it down by now but I'm dragging my heels this year. Why? The tree is so lovely and we got some new ornaments from friends and family this year. And it does make the living room glow very nicely. I often think that I will have a Winter Tree one year. Take some old branches - not hard to find after last night's storm - and bring them in and add lights and some left over tinsel. Keep the cheeriness going for a little longer through the yucky months. Sigh. If only the snow would return - sorry snow haters. I love it and it makes the winter so much easier to deal with - for me. This weather is just so ......nothing. It inspires nothing - in my book. There are no bulbs pushing up to excite me. There are no tree buds to make me think of warm summer afternoons. Whoa! It is POURING right now. Major rain. Wow.

Snow is gentle and quiet and serene, I feel. It makes us slow down and think more, don't you find? Warm rain just makes you pull your collar closed and move more quickly into the store. Luckily, I live in the frozen north so I'll get my wish sooner than later. It just seems a shame that we lost all the stuff we had last week.

2 comments:

LustingWanderluster said...

That's one happy family! Mallie looks like you two are tickling her.

detroit dog said...

Very happy family!

When I was a kid, we always celebrated 3 Kings Day (Mexican Christmas; 12th day of Christmas), and left the tree up until then - sometimes until February (another Catholic holiday).

I love snow, too.