Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Onward and upward!


Wow, school is open. Amazing how it still affects me. Haven't sat in a classroom in years and still I feel that same sense of renewal, new beginning and the ending of quiet mornings spent reading! Ug.

In the past month I have been to two funerals. One for a friend's mom and one for another friend's father. I have the feeling this marks that start of the "Year of Funerals". Not to be maudlin but I am of the age where the passing of the torch will soon be at hand ....no pun intended. It's a strange thing to see your friends emerge as ...well...orphans, for want of a better word. Grown up orphans. Sigh. I watched my friend divide up her mother's jewelry amongst her sisters, after the graveside service and listened to her musing on the strangeness of it all. "Do you think I should wash these earrings before I wear them? Can you catch anything from a corpse?"

Surreal, at the least. Should I mention that this friend is currently spending some time in a psychiatric hospital? Laughing couldn't make her pain dissolve. It just seeped in a bit deeper.

I miss the Lake. We were there over last weekend with friends. It was so peaceful. It may very well be the last time my mum sees her beloved Lake Michigan and Good Harbor Bay. My friend noticed her looking hard at the water and maybe shedding a tear or two. Hard to tell. We've always had such a deep connection with that place that we always make sure we say a heartfelt good bye and thank you every time we are able to spend time beside it.

It or she? Hard to know.

'Nite.

No comments: