Saturday, November 10, 2007

My Fair Lady


This was my car in my senior year of high school - and the boyfriend too. And yes, me with long hair. That hair was a major deal when it got cut off in 1985. No "Locks of Love" back then. And now even giving your discarded hair has become political. Someone told me that that organization makes you pay for a wig instead of giving them to you. Wigs are expensive, I do know. My mother lost all her hair when her first chemo run made hers all fall out. ALL her hair, mind you. Something you don't think about. There are other companies out there with some major funding and they are able to give their wigs away - especially to kids. Something to research of you are considering taking the plunge. When I cut all my hair off I could not donate it because it was color treated. Crap.
Anyway, back to my jalopy. This car was super fast and had the biggest interior ever. Don't even remember it's make and model. Sad, isn't it?
Much cooler than the cars I see kids drive today. It had character and it built character. Too much too soon these days, if you ask me.
I am reading "The Glass Castle" by Jeannette Walls and it is amazing! I highly recommend it because it shows what the human spirit can endure - at the hands of this woman's parents no less - and still go on to better things. It's like a car crash, this book. It is revolting and yet you really can't look away. What some people do with their kids and their ideas of how to raise them, wow! These parents weren't abusive, per se. However, their life and life style was abusive. Does that make sense? Along the lines of Frank McCourt's books of growing up in Ireland with messed up parents.
Read the book. And enjoy the weekend!

1 comment:

The Willnus Girls said...

Hey Rose,

I love this picture of you with long hair, the car, the boyfriend. You're a riot!!
So creative you are...You always seem so repsonsible...nice to see this side of you.
Thanks for sharing a little piece of yourself with us :)
Warmly, Rachelle Willnus