Thursday, November 8, 2007

Smart Ass - Part Deux


I love when people comment on this blog. (Thanks Karen!!) It really is great that someone is taking a moment to walk in my head with me ....! That's what this is. I am taking to heart what I have been reading - a great book called "Writing Down the Bones" by Natalie Goldberg. She writes about all the things that have been floating in my head...."composting" is what she calls it. The idea that we sometimes have to "study awhile" about a subject before we jump in. (That was a phrase my southern grandmother always used and it fits here.)
I have wanted to write for awhile and Ms. Goldberg says so go ahead and WRITE THEN! So here I am. I use photos to jump start my juices and that's why I named the last entry SMART ASS. The picture of me pointing to that advertising icon - the Rice o Roni sign. Total smart ass. If someone could hear the voice(s) in my head their first comment would be "What a smart ass"...
This photo is of me, again in SF some 20 years ago, having an orgasm on the steps of my favorite house on Haight Street. It is a really lovely old girl, I have to say. I had the chance to peek in the doors and I wish I had had the balls I have now to have asked to come in for the full tour. NOTE TO SELF: Always ask for the full tour. What are they going to say? No? SO????
I have to tell you about two films that are MUST SEES for the Smart Asses out there. One I just finished watching and I am still so high from it. "LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE"!! Must see this and I think Version Three should have been the ending, for the record. Check out the extras on the dvd and you'll understand. (Don't you love all the outtake/deleted scene/interview/making of crap they put on dvds these days??) I am so glad I missed this in the theater because they would have asked me to leave. I hooted and howled all through this piece. Flippin' brilliant.
Second MUST SEE film. "KNOCKED UP". Again, glad I never saw it in the theatre. Brilliant performances because they play real people. I mean, that's what's so funny about this film. I know these people. Watch it and see if you don't agree. SOOOOO good. And if you have had children then double bonus. The delivery scenes will make you weep from laughter.
I have to say....in the same vein....you have to see "FORTY YEAR OLD VIRGIN". These are three films that will stand the test of time because they all come from a place of reality. That's what makes them so incredibly insightful and hilarious.
Why I may just have to add them to my Top Ten list of movies.

2 comments:

LustingWanderluster said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LustingWanderluster said...

Of course with Courtney working at the Main, I've seen all three of these and I couldn't agree with you more. Knocked up was so brilliant. If you liked all three of those you will LOVE one that is playing at the Main right now: Lars and the Real Girl. The one thing that all 4 of these movies have in common is that they take real situations, ones that seems ordinary and wouldn't be very interesting all on their own (getting knocked up on a one-night-stand, a very ordinary girl entering a beauty contest, a nerdy virgin, and a mentally skewed individual unable to have a meaningful relationship), and turn them into something very powerful and in a way, humbling. Hurrah for the independent film!