Thursday, December 13, 2007

Thanks JAPC!

'Morning everyone! Here is a shot of my church , Jefferson Avenue Presbyterian, located in Historic Indian Village and built with money donated from the Dodge Brothers family. This was taken on Scottish Sunday when everyone who has ever owned a pair of plaid socks comes once a year. This amazing ceremony/service takes place the Sunday before Thanksgiving so mark your calendars for 2008. It is truly a blast. With 12 bagpipers this year BLAST is exactly what I mean.


This church means alot to me. I have been a paid singer in churches for the past 20+ years. I have sung in Presbyterian, Christian Science, Unity, Episcopalian and Congregational churches and never have I been moved to join the congregation. This place is special. Sure, it's beautiful. Sure, it's big. But it is really the people I love there. Our pastor just celebrated 25 years of service there. In fact, our church has only had THREE senior pastors in its 80+ year history. This is rather unusual.

I love the fact that my gay friends have found a home here. I love that the music is incredible. Not only in the services but in the free concert series established. I love that our community has embraced so many different people from all walks of life. I love that it is trying to help the people of the City. I love that our new assistant pastor is a woman under 30! It is a cool, loving place where complete strangers will say "Good morning! There's a seat right next to me!" I found a new life and a new husband there. This place really helped me when I was going through the dark days of divorce. I love that my pastor actually said that sometimes a marriage needs to end. Alot of my friends have been counseled to hang in there for the good and bad but it took my pastor to really speak the truth to me and let me know it was okay to think the thoughts I was thinking. I was married there TWICE. My pastor once said that he does do "do overs" if it's a good match. Thanks Peter!

This place embraced me when I lost my dad. Both of my parents remains will rest here in the Columbarium, when the time comes. Dad is already there. It's a love filled, Christ filled place and I am grateful for the community. Thanks JAPC!

1 comment:

Monkey King said...

I see me! I'm directly behind the last chandelier on the left. Mom and Dad are to the right (my left).