Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Happy Boxing Day!




Today is a cold day with a peculiar fog that has coated the trees in white. The word "hoary" comes to mind. Weird and lovely.


We had a lovely Christmas albeit alot quieter than I had planned on. It seems that alot of people around us are dealing with death. A rather abrupt statement, I know.


My friend and her partner had planned to spend the day with us on the 25th. She got a call that her brother had passed away so they were off, Christmas Eve, scrambling for plane tickets. Another friend, who lost her mum in April, lost her dad today. Yet another friend who was supposed to spent some time with us on the 25th found out that her ride from the airport had been touched by violence. A shooting in a liquor store took this man's cousin to the hospital where he is now in stable condition, thank God


"Stable" condition. Haven't we all been in that condition at one time or another? No room for us - we feel - in the inn and we are forced to the "stable" of our thoughts. Interesting juxtaposition, eh?


Although it was quiet we were happy and we ate - as a friend has said - "like we was going to the Chair"! My mother, gourmet cook to the end, made prime rib, Yorkshire pudding, roasted potatoes, glazed carrots and a parsnip/apple puree. Way too yummy and definitely NOT South Beach friendly. Sigh, back to Phase One for me come January 1st.


My husband presented me with The Book II. This one contains all our wedding photos (well not ALL of them) and before, starting where the other one had ended. (FYI, my husband proposed to me last Christmas Day by making me a book that ended with "Will you marry me?")
I did not get to see my friends on Christmas but they were in my thoughts and in my heart. I am blessed to be with my loved ones today. Amen and amen!

1 comment:

detroit dog said...

wow! sweet proposal! wonderful gift, then and now.