Saturday, October 6, 2007

Another Saturday Night and ...whoops! I have somebody!

Does anyone ever listen to Cat Stevens anymore?? I remember going to two week summer girl scout camp in 1970 and the troop leaders had one album - the vinyl type with COOL album art. One album played and played and it was Cat Stevens.

Sure, now he's cool Muslim Dude but back then he was just a great folksy, gutsy singer. Sigh. DISCLAIMER: I can appreciate where his beliefs have taken him.

About 15 years ago I heard that he would be in Ann Arbor lecturing and I went to see him with a friend. It was the worst event in terms of organization. He arrived 45 minutes late. There was an armchair and a floorlamp on stage. The only amplification was a boom box with a microphone plugged in! No shit. That's how the lecture was recorded too. And when that side of the tape was finished it turned the whole machine off. And so NO Brother Josef until a follower ran over, turned over the tape and pressed record again. Wow.

Brother Josef - (our man Cat and what a cool name btw!) spoke for a time and then an American woman got up to speak on the joys of Islam. She also answered questions from the audience. Now, the audience was not quite so attentive and kind as they had been to our hero. I finally got to ask the one question on my mind for ages regarding Islam.

"May I ask....? I understand that women drape themselves to mask feminine charms and so be more on par with men. I understand that premise and I admire that! However, are you saying then that Islamic men are unable to control their biological urges and so admitting that women are stronger willed and not so easily swayed?"

My question was never answered. She pretended that there was no more time to answer questions and so I guess I'll never know......

Does anyone see my point?

No comments: