Thursday, October 18, 2007

Sigh...memories



This is one of my favorite places on earth. These are the remains of the castle in Tintagel, England. Tintagel is on the west coast and it is the supposed home of the legendary King Arthur. The building ruins are on a finger of land that stretches into the ocean and is divided in the middle by waves crashing on the rock and wearing it away. Basically, it's a bit of a hike to get where I am sitting - in the below picture - but SO worth it. I remember that it was "closing time" when this was taken and I seriously thought..."I could stay here all day.. What are they gonna do? Hike up and yank me out of there?" Of course, being British it would be a very polite encounter.





I am English as well. My mum was a war bride who married an American serviceman during WWII. She came to this country on ship with other brides all bound for new lives as American wives. Gee, that kinda rhymes, eh? Her journey is the basis for another posting. More later.





Anyway, this spot is so beautiful that these pictures can still invoke the calm and peace I felt as I looked out from that wall. This was the same view the 13th century inhabitants had. What thoughts went through their heads, I wonder? Did they ever feel the need to get away from it all? Hmmm. I think about stuff like that. What did Lady 13th Century think about as she gazed out over the sea?

When the conquering Normans reached the westernmost land of England they heard that the ancient seat of Cornwall's kings had stood atop this soaring headland, surrounded on three sides by the ceaseless surge of the Atlantic. So in propaganda terms it made sense for Earl Richard of Cornwall, younger brother of Henry III, to build a castle on the spot where his legendary predecessors had held court. There was no strategic reason for the choice, as there had been for the other Norman castles in Cornwall, Launceston and Restormel - and Earl Richard rarely stayed there.

All I can say is it's a great destination and I highly recommend making the pilgrimage.

No comments: