Tuesday, October 23, 2007

To sell my soul.....or no?


This is a representation of my frame of mind, at present. You see, I need to make more money but I am tied by a couple of factors. Number 1: I have a mother who is in her 80s and who has terminal cancer. She does not drive and relies on me to be the door to the outside world. Number 2: I have a young daughter who attends school outside our district so I have to drive her every day back and forth. Number 3: I have a varied resume that may baffle most companies. Number 4: I have a loving and wonderful husband I wouldn't trade for anything who is also artistic and therefore, relatively poor.
I have worked several kinds of jobs and one I did for 6 months was the zaniest. I don't really want to go into it here but, suffice to say, it is not at the top of my list. There are some perks - no travel, no transportation costs. The down side is there is an element of selling my soul. I know your interest is piqued, right? Tough.
I'm sure you all have had these moments where you need to decide what is important to you. What that is for me is having a flexible schedule so that I can be attentive to the needs of my mother and daughter. Can I stand on my head and whistle "Dixie" for six months...? Sure, if I need to.
Being an artistic person can be a drag. Sure, it's all good to be talented and have people ooh and ahh you when you perform. Who doesn't love that? But getting enough scratch together to pay the health insurance....ahh there's the rub as Will S. once wrote.
So, do I do what I do on my own twisted timeclock or do I grab a job at Starbucks and make low money but score health insurance? That is my dilemma. I didn't say it was rocket science I was dwelling on today.
Sigh. Life is hard and demands great effort.
Period.

No comments: